Nowadays, more and more people purchase a macbook instead other brand.As the same time, people are chasing the watching experience on a larger screen than monitor and use it for works such as online meeting and study. Due to it, the demand of connecting macbook to TV keeps increasing.
The new Macbook will be released in a few days(recently). With high quality, prominent branding, aesthetic design and Apple ecosystem, more and more people who want to have a new laptop will choose MacBook even though the price is not cute. And now, to further achieve the multiple tasks goal, large number of occupants are looking for a suitable cable to connect MacBook to TV for transmitting the data.
To achieve better user experience, some come up with a solution: Mirroring the old Macbook screen context to another general computer screen. Apart from this, it can be applied multiply in processing presentation, holding up conference and building up a home theater. To satisfy widespread demand from customers, Apple has been deliberately designing larger screens with higher resolution.
So, how to choose a suitable cable for your macbook to adapt to your TV when your TV is without Apple play?
Check Macbook Version to match a suitable adapter
Take an old MacBook without the USB-C port for example, occupants have to check if there is an HDMI port and consider to buy a HDMI cable. The following Macs come equipped with an HDMI port:
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2012-2014 models)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 model)
- Mac mini (2010 and later)
Then an HDMI cable will easily take you out of trouble.
Connect HDMI Port to HDMI Port:
- Locate the HDMI port on the right of Macbook.
- Plug one end of an HDMI-to-HDMI cable into the Macbook.
- Put the other end into television.
If your Mac doesn’t equipped with HDMI port, it must be a Thunderbolt 2 port, then you will need a Mini Displayport-to-HDMI adapter. Similarly, the Mini DisplayPort serial cable is compatible with devices that have Mini DisplayPort.
The following devices and versions are compatible and capable of sending both audio and video signals over the Mini DisplayPort
|MacBook Pro——Retina, 13-inch||Late 2012 and later|
|MacBook Pro——-Retina, 15-inch||Early 2013|
|MacBook Pro——Retina||Mid 2012|
|Mac mini||Mid 2010 and later|
|Mac Pro||Mid 2010|
|MacBook||Mid 2010 and later|
|MacBook Pro||Mid 2010 and later|
|MacBook Air||Late 2010 and later|
|iMac||Late 2009 and later|
Unfortunately, any older models can send video data only over the DisplayPort connection.
If the MacBook has a Thunderbolt port instead, occupants have to choose a Mini DisplayPort to USB-C cable, that is, a cable with DisplayPort connector on one end and USB-C cable on the other end. If your system has a Thunderbolt 3 port, a USB-C to HDMI adapter is exactly the one!
*Note: Connecting steps of Thunderbolt port to HDMI port is exactly the same as the HDMI port to HDMI port.
If a MacBook could be connected through a Thunderbolt 2 port, a Thunderbolt 2 cable is available. It is one of the most common cable products. It could be compatible with most of data storage devices. Excepts, it is feasibly allowed with various sorts of data output and is exceedingly efficient at data processing. Given this high performance barely should customers worry at any data delay. Thus, people don’t need to cut budgets on new equipment due to affordable and useful small cables and adapters.
Match your Mac with Apple TV
If you already have had a TV with Apple Play, there is no need to buy any cables. The only thing you need to do is to get your TV and Mac matched and mirror the images.
3 steps of Mirroring process for iOS(mirror macbook to tv)
1. Tap the TV screen in bottom bar
2. Enter the password
3. Play any video you want
Cables can Achieve Perfect Performance(macbook to tv)
Nonetheless, the USB-C serial cable acts to be the best. Its essential advantage is in that it perfectly supports the Apple Cinema display which lets occupants watch videos on a LED screen.
Apple Cinema display is classified into 3 generations.
- The first model has a high-density plastic frame in the form of an easel, converting signals through DVI connectors. In this case, any type of cable that could transmit DVI signal helps, among which USB-C cable serves as the most compatible one. If the MacBook is supportive of Thunderbolt 3 ports, the USB-C to DVI cable will match your requirements.
- The second generation of Apple Cinema display is commonly equipped with a Mini DisplayPort, and it requires a corresponding Mini DisplayPort cable. The USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable also works. But what should be emphasized is that Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 adapter is not applicable for the second generation model because of the unstable match. The third one, on the other hand, is compatible with the Thunderbolt 2 and 3 adapter, since it has the Thunderbolt 2 port on its part.
- The third generation is the most common one among customers. Therefore for most of customers, a Thunderbolt serial cable could be a necessary item.
Other Tips For Notice
After plugging the corresponding cable into MacBook and TV, occupants are supposed to fulfill the steps as follow:
- Set the PC mode or HDMI mode. Both are the modes that allow data from the MacBook to smoothly transmit into the TV.
- To make the TV screen a second display, occupants should make some adjustments on TV to disable the mirror mode to avoid the unavailable AirPlay form.
- If videos on TV are mute, they should check whether the sound output in the system preference is set to the TV-source and make the relevant regulations.
When all the steps above are done, the connection between Macbook and TV, occupants can watch videos freely on TV. If it fails, which is rare to happen, or there are any surprising situations emerging, please write to us and we would try to see where the problem lies.