This article describes how to crimp rj45 Ethernet connectors using two methods and two RJ45 crimping tools.
One method focuses on cat5, cat5e and cat6, while the other method is more applicable to cat6a and cat7 Ethernet cables.
Generally, when it comes to make rj45 ethernet cable by yourself, there are two sets of solutions.
If you focus on the Ethernet cable as Cat 5/5e/6 only, then the rj45 crimper tool matching with rj45 pass through connectors suits you best.
But if you want to use the rj45 modular plug crimping tool and crimp cable rj45 Ethernet connectors, Cat6/6a/7 will be better.
Method for Cat6/Cat6a/Cat7 Cables
*About Dovetail Clip
- It is designed to make the network cable firmly connected and not loose (Supports 23 to 26 AWG round or flat solid or stranded wire, for wire core OD 1.35~1.45mm) so that signal transmission is stable.
- Nickel-plated shielded metal enclosure shields interference to ensure signal stability. .
- It applies to rj45 Ethernet connectors terminate Cat 6/6A/7 solid or stranded conductors, consequently the three-point staggered with 50 micron gold-plated contacts inside provide faster speed with less interference
- If you choose this rj45 connector with the clip, the cat6 crimping tool is your only choice,which enables you to make the clip contact fixed closer.
- Load bar is necessary to arrange the wires neatly and fix them tightly. Make sure the OD of your wires are between 1.35~1.45 mm (in case of any problems may happen).
- You should keep the order according to T568B or T568A Standard RJ45 pins.(We recommend T568B one)
- Cut the wire
- Put the wires into the load bar in turn. Remember the bar is put lower under the shortest, the Brown wire. Meanwhile, double checking your colors are correctly on their places.
- Pick up your cat6 connector, hold it close to the wire, and align the bottom of the plug with the lower insulation of the exposed wire. If there is no problem, you can leave a length of about 1.5 cm. Then you can cut the wire horizontally.
- Now we can assemble the plug. The key point is to ensure the wires are pushed to the end of the plug’s holes. If there are some problems causing yours poor use, possibly you got something wrong here. So carefully notice this step!
- It’s time for our Cat6 Cable Crimping Tool. After unlocking, put the plug into the crimping tool and crimp it, just like you are using the stapler.
- Winding the shield braiding wires downside of the plug and then make the fixed buckle closer of the crimping tool fix cable by crimping again.
- Upward insert the cable cap which we remain in the first step into the plug.
- That’s it! To make sure if it works, you can insert the Cat6 ethernet cable tester.
Method 2 for Cat6 Pass-Through
*Method 1 Vs Method 2
- RJ45 pass-through connectors let you quickly and easily create Cat 6 cables in preferred lengths
- It’s suitable for wire OD0.93 ~ 1.04mm, multi-stranded and single-stranded cables 23AWG ~ 26AWG.
- It still has three-point staggered with gold-plated contacts inside. As former one, the appearance of it is transparent. And allows you to identify wire sequence and then eliminate scrap or improper crimps.
- Comparing with the former one, you do not need a load bar to help arrange wires. The reason is that pass-through design simplifies terminations. Wires are inserted through the connector and out of the other side. Then you can imagine how fast and convenient it is!
- Firstly, insert a cable cap into the wire. And unlock the Pass Through Modular Wire Crimper . You press down the handle to roll out the lock button.
- Secondly, terminal measures 3cm in length.
- Thirdly, rotate it in a circle. And you can easily cut the 3cm skin of insulation with the inner sharp blade.
- Now you can see the various colors of the four twisted wires exposed. Divide the wires into single strands , then cut off the aluminum foil or film inside as well. And arrange the wires according to the T568B standard.
- Cut the wires from the downside Brown to upside Orange+White in an oblique angle and cut the wires horizontally.
- Finally, you wear the core wire into the RJ45 plug, then crimping cable end.
- Please choose the correct cat 6 crimping tool.
- With just one crimping tool , you can assemble the RJ45 Network cable yourself.
- The VCELINK Ethernet cat6 Crimping Tool will help you install the rj45 cable easily.
Both two ways are excellent corresponding with your needs to crimp rj45 connectors due to making a network cable by yourself.
Consider it as an enjoyable DIY activity which you may just need to do only few times. To some extent, it’s a way to explore the network world, which only belongs to wired network. Besides, choose best components for your wired network benefits you a lot.